Ridgid Brushless 18V 1-Gallon Air Compressor
Ridgid recently announced the Ridgid Brushless 18V 1-Gallon Air Compressor, the industry’s first compressor with brushless motor technology. The compressor can be found at Home Depot under the model number Ridgid R0230 and will cost $199 bare.
It runs on either 1 or 2 Ridgid 18V batteries, which the company says allows it the ability to drive up to 1,200 brad nails (on two 5Ah batteries).
Other notable features include a locking regulator knob, a 1/4 turn ball valve drain, and universal push-to-connect coupler. The compressor offers a maximum pressure of 120 PSI.
Ridgid continues to push the boundaries of what you should expect from cordless tools with the new Ridgid Brushless 18V 1-Gallon Compressor and there are several major talking points.
First, it’s curious that this is a completely cordless tool – it’s not hybrid, allowing for 120V AC power like several of their recent tools. This may be the major knock against it as it tries to gain market presence. I’d expect this to be a pretty easy upgrade for the next generation.
Running on either one or two batteries is nice. When you’re trying to wrap up the job when the batteries go dead, you can slap in even a compact battery to get those last few shots in rather than waiting for the charge cycle to complete on the ones you’re using.
Obviously, the Ridgid R0230 is meant for single person use. At roughly 1200 shots on two 5.0 amp hour batteries (there is a 9.0 amp hour on the way!), two shooters would likely outpace it.
Requiring two batteries begs the question if this compressor with a pneumatic nailer is a better option than just going out to pick up Ridgid’s HyperDrive cordless nailers. However, it allows you to continue using the lightweight finish nailers you already have while cutting the cord. You still have the hose to contend with, but 1200 shots are likely enough to get most trim carpenters through an entire day.
With a 1 gallon capacity, I’m pretty confident in the compressor’s ability to handle trim work. What I’m withholding judgment on is the other possibilities. We’ll have to wait until we get one in for review to know for sure!
Ridgid Brushless 18V 1-Gallon Air Compressor Features
- Dual-Power Draw allows the compressor to run on both 1 or 2 batteries
- Brushless Motor Technology for superior power and runtime
- 1 Gallon Tank for portable size and jobsite mobility
- Locking Regulator holds knob in place to prevent unwanted pressure changes
- Universal Push-to-Connect Quick Coupler accepts both ¼ in. automotive and industrial plugs with easy single-hand connection
- ¼ Turn Ball Valve Tank Drain allows the tank to be drained quickly with one easy turn
- 120 Maximum PSI provides ideal pressure for an extended range of work (for finish and trim applications)
- Hose Wrap for efficient hose storage management
Ridgid Brushless 18V 1-Gallon Air Compressor Specifications
- Model: Model Number: Ridgid R0230
- Maximum Pressure (PSI): 120 PSI
- Decibel Rating: 77 dBA
- Air Delivery SCFM @ 90PSI: 0.9 SCFM
- Compressor Tank Capacity: 1 Gallon
- Lubrication Type: Oil-Free
- Warranty: 3-year Limited
- Price: $199