Before I started Pro Tool Reviews, I renovated a number of older homes. With respect to tools, I spend money where it’s needed, but I prefer to keep things on a budget. I definitely know the value of using the best tools for mission-critical applications. As a general tool user, and not a woodworker, I don’t own a biscuit joiner and probably never will. I do enjoy using good tools and recognize some tools tool (like a router or a pin nailer) can help you put a nice touch on a project. Those gems are worth their weight in gold. Following are the power tools Clint DeBoer uses.
Good discernment coupled with decades of experience makes me a solid value-shopper and a harsh critic of anything that doesn’t work quickly or efficiently. I want good tools, but I won’t hesitate to try something new in the hopes that it performs “above its pay grade”. If you want to know which power tools Clint DeBoer uses regularly, this is your list.
The Joy of Working on Older Homes
I love working on old houses. I live in Florida, so “old” falls in the 100-year-old range. These homes have tons of character and charm, but they also present challenging opportunities for using reliable-yet-innovative tools. From roofing and framing to plumbing and electrical, I enjoy it all (OK, I lied about the plumbing—only masochists enjoy that). In either case, my favorite tools are generally cordless with the exception of pneumatic nailers. There is nothing quite like firing a half dozen nails into a window frame in less than half that number of seconds… or confidently driving screws into composite decking.
I have a great love for both hand and power tools, and I’m prepared to call out those manufacturers who don’t build them in ways that are rugged, ergonomic, and powerful. This list changes a bit more frequently than I care to admit, but I’ll try to keep it updated as best I can.
Clint DeBoer’s Favorite Power Tools
- Table Saw – Bosch 4100XC-10 Table Saw – Buy Now
- Sliding Compound Miter Saw – Bosch GCM18V-12GDCN 18V Cordless 12″ Miter Saw – Buy Now
- Circular Saw – Makita XSH03 6-1/2″ Brushless Circular Saw – Buy Now
- Jig Saw – Festool Carvex PS 420 EBQ Jigsaw – Buy Now
- Reciprocating Saw – Milwaukee M18 FUEL SawZall – Buy Now
- Router – Bosch GKF125CEPK Colt Palm Router Kit – Buy Now
- Rotary Tool – Ryobi PCL480 Rotary Tool Station – Buy Now
- Orbital Sander – Festool WCR 1000 Workcenter w/Brushless Orbital Sanders – Buy Now
- Angle Grinder – Metabo 18V Cordless 5″ Angle Grinder – Buy Now
- Impact Driver – Milwaukee M18 FUEL 1/4″ Hex Impact Driver (Gen 4) – Buy Now
- Hammer Drill – Milwaukee M18 FUEL Drill (Gen 4) – Buy Now
- Wet/Dry Vacuum – DeWalt DWV012 HEPA Vacuum – Buy Now
- Air Compressor – Northstar 80-gallon 7.5 hp Air Compressor – Buy Now
- Brad Nailer – Milwaukee M18 FUEL 18ga Brad Nailer – Buy Now
- Roofing Nail Gun – Senco RoofPro 445XP – Buy Now
- Framing Nailer – Metabo HPT NR90AES1 framing nailer – Buy Now
Hand Tools & Miscellaneous Tools Clint DeBoer Uses
- Mechanics Sockets & Ratchets – Sonic Tools S9 Toolbox – Buy Now
- Ratcheting Wrenches – GearWrench 120XP Universal Spline XL – Buy Now
- Screwdrivers – Wurth Zebra Screwdrivers Set – Buy Now
- Pliers – See our Best pliers article for many of the tools I use
- Levels – Milwaukee Redstick (Buy Now) & Empire True Blue 24″ Box Level (Buy Now)
- Utility Knives – Irwin & Milwaukee Fastback II
- Tape Measures – Stanley Fat Max – Buy Now
- Chalk Box – Irwin Strait Line Chalk Reel
- Clamps – Bessey EHK Trigger Clamps
- Bar Clamps – JackClamp Bar Clamps
- Vise – Wilton Tradesman 1755
- Stud Finder – Franklin ProSensor 710 Stud Finder – Buy Now
- Extension Ladder – Little Giant Hyperlite – Buy Now
These are the hand tools, power tools, and accessories I (Clint DeBoer) use regularly. The bottom line is every tool here has some characteristics I find noteworthy—and, as you can see, we’ve reviewed many of them right here at Pro Tool Reviews.