Makita Cordless 12-Inch Miter Saw Options Are Here!
Makita Sizes Up Their Awesome 10-Inch Cordless Compound Miter Saw with Two 12-Inch Models
If you thought Makita’s 10-inch cordless miter saw sounded like a great idea (spoiler: it was) but wished it came in an XL size, you’re in luck. The XSL07 Makita Cordless 12-Inch Miter Saw utilizes the same DXT Deep and Exact Cutting technology that we loved so much about the XSL06, except that it’s all packaged in a saw that can handle even more cutting capacity.
- Model Number: Makita XSL07 (AWS model XSL08) 12″ Dual-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser
- DXT Deep and Exact Cutting Technology
- Cuts up to 8″ crown (nested), 6-3/4″ base (vertical), and 15″ crosscuts at 90°
- Up to 175 cuts per charge in 2 x 12 SPF lumber
- Runs on two 18V LXT batteries
- 2-steel rail sliding system can operate flush against a wall
- Front bevel lock
- MSRP: $1,107.97 (Kit with two 5.0Ah batteries, dual port rapid charger, blade, dust bag, vertical clamp, wrench, and triangle)
What is DXT Deep and Exact Cutting Technology?
We praised the 10-inch edition of this saw for its power and performance and also for its accuracy. Makita’s DXT tech is what made all of that possible, and they’re bringing it back for the 12-inch model.
But what is it?
Essentially, DXT employs a series of features that gives this miter saw an expanded cutting capacity, out-of-the-box accuracy, and incredible performance. It starts with a direct drive system. Most saws use a belt system to drive the blade, but Makita opts for a direct drive motor that feels noticeably more powerful and less sluggish, even after years of use. Cuts with this saw also feel smoother.
It also employs a space-saving steel rail slide mechanism with 6 linear ball bearings. The combination here amounts to way less deflection, giving you more accurate cuts. This design’s single-action slide leaves the back of the saw immobile so you can back it up against a wall without losing any of your slide capacity.
Because of the direct drive gearbox and guard system, the saw can use the back of the blade for a significant uptick in vertical cutting capacity when cutting baseboard and nested crown molding.
Additional Key Features
Makita takes advantage of a laser to mark your cutline or adjust for blade-left/blade-right cutting. It operates exactly like the XSL06 with a separate power switch for the laser.
The Makita Cordless 12-Inch Miter Saw features a brushless motor and can make up to 175 cuts on 2×12 SPF lumber using two 5.0Ah batteries. The Makita XSL08 model is the AWS compatible model. You can hook it up to your AWS Makita dust extractor or the new AWS universal adapter on any vac for wireless automatic activation.
Here are a few more feature worth noting:
- Automatic Speed Change
- Dual dust collection ports
- Blade brake
- Soft start
- 90º miter lock knob
- Dual-port Rapid Optimum Charger included in kit
Let’s Talk Capacity
The Makita Cordless 12-Inch Miter Saw does everything you’d expect from a premium miter saw. You can make miter cuts up to 60° in either direction, with positive miter stops at 0°, 15°, 22.5°, 31.6°, 45°, and 60°.
You can also make beveled cuts from 0º–48° both left and right. The bevel lock sits at the front, eliminating the need to reach around the back for adjustments.
Expect cuts up to 8-inch vertically nested crown molding, 6-3/4 inch vertical baseboard, and 15-inch crosscuts at 90°.
The Makita XSL07 uses a 5-1/2 inch tall fence system to help you stabilize those taller pieces.
Retail pricing should settle in around $699 for the bare tool and $879 for the kit ($789/$999 for the AWS model) once it hits retailers. Right now on Amazon, the Makita Cordless 12-Inch Miter Saw is running $1,107.97 and includes a 3-year limited warranty on the tool, 5.0 Ah batteries, and dual port Rapid Optimum Charger.
As of right now, joins a very small group of cordless 12″ miter saw options alongside DeWalt’s 12-inch FlexVolt Miter Saw.
Makita 12-Inch Miter Saw Specs
- Model Numbers
- Standard Model, Bare Tool: Makita XSL07Z
- Standard Model, 2 x 5.0 Ah Kit: Makita XSL07PT
- AWS, Bare Tool: Makita XSL08Z
- AWS, 2 x 5.0 Ah Kit: Makita XSL08PT
- Power Source: 2X 18V LXT Lithium-Ion
- No-Load Speed: 4,400 RPM
- Blade Diameter: 12″
- Arbor: 1″
- Max Cutting Capacity (90°): 3-5/8″ x 15″
- Max Cutting Capacity (45°): 3-5/8″ x 10-1/2″
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 35-1/4″ x 27-1/4″ x 28-1/2″
- Net Weight (with battery): 69.1 lbs
- Warranty: 3-Year Limited Warranty on tool, battery, and charger
- MSRP: $1,107.97