Klein is moving into installation kits as they expand their offering. One that caught our attention is the new Klein Coax Cable Installation Kit.
Coax may be headed the way of the dodo as better VDV cabling moves in, but there’s still a ton of it around. Rather than piecemealing a kit together from tools that may or may not be coax specific, Kline covers all your bases for basic installation.
You’ll need three basic steps to wrap up a coax installation once the cabling is run: cut, strip, and crimp.
What’s In the Kit?
The Multi-Cable Cutter Klein includes will help in more than just coax installations. It’s capable of clipping off up to 12 AWG copper (stranded and solid), 0.032″ stainless, 1/2″ multi0conductor cable, RG-6 quad coax, RG-59, and RG-62. You can also shear 6-32 and 8-32 screws.
Klein’s Coaxial Cable Radial Stripper lets your pocket relax from doubling as an insulation stripper. Klein rates this one for RG59, RG6, and RG6-QS with strip diameters of 0.3125″ and 0.25″
The crimper is specifically designed to tackle common F connectors for coax. They include 6 connectors as part of the kit – a nice addition if you’re picking it up to do some work around your house.
I like that the kit covers the installation wrap up and I’m grateful Klein throws in a zipper bag to go along with it. A lot of guys like to carry around a backpack or tool bag with everything in its place. I like being able to group tools for a specific job together so I can grab just what I need. The downside might be that you have several of the same size and color bags to choose from. Just grab some inexpensive colored carabiners to both clip and identify the bags and you’re good to go.
Right now, online prices are running right at the $40 for the Klein Coax Cable Installation Kit. It’s a bag full of Made in the USA tools that carry a lifetime warranty. Unless you have very specific tool preference to tackle coax installation, there aren’t a ton of excuses to pass this one up.Shop Amazon
Klein Coax Cable Installation Kit Features
- Includes a multi-cable cutter, coaxial cable radial stripper, compression crimper for f-connectors, universal f-compression connectors, and a zip bag
- Multi-cable cutter (Cat. No. 63020) has precision shear-type cutting blades for easier cutting and double-dipped comfort grips with curved handles and is made in the USA
- Coaxial Cable Radial Stripper (Cat. No. VDV110-061) with 2-level, one step prep has durable high-carbon steel pre-set cutting blades for precise, accurate cable stripping
- Compression Crimper (Cat. No. VDV212-008SEN) crimps compression F-Connectors to coaxial cable; fixed plunger allows quick, easy insertion and removal of cable and connector
- Includes 6 Universal F-Compression Connectors, (also available as a 10-pack, Cat. No. VDV812-606)
- Polyester zipper bag 7-inch x 12-1/2-inch (178 mm x 318 mm) keeps all components together
- Everything needed for preparing and connecting coax cables with F-Connectors
Klein Coax Cable Installation Kit (VDV026-211) Specs
- Model Number: 63020
- Cutting Capacity: Up to 12 AWG Solid and Stranded Copper Wire, Up to 0.032″ Diameter Stainless Steel, Up to 1/2″ Multi-conductor Cable, Coaxial RG-6 Quad, RG-59 and RG-62
- Screw Shearing: 6-32 & 8-32
- Length: 7″
- Weight: 0.44 lb
Coaxial Cable Radial Stripper
- Model Number: VDV110-061
- Cable Type: RG59, RG6, RG6-QS
- Levels: 2
- Strip Dimensions: 0.3125″ and 0.25″
- Length: 4-19/32″
- Weight: 1.2 oz
- Model Number: VDV212-008SEN
- Connector Type: Common F Connectors
- Cable Type: Coaxial
- Length: 5-19/32″
- Weight: 0.10 lb